Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Children's Bookshelf

This post is for my friend Christina. She wrote about wanting one of those bookshelves that Preschools use so you can see the front of books. They cost a surprising amount of money, so 7 years ago, when I taught Preschool for my first son, my fabulous husband made me one- and it wasn't that hard!

2009-02-09 14-55-38

He cut three pieces of wood- two sides and a bottom. Then he screwed them together. I sewed fabric for the book slots (instead of wood shelves like most of the commercial bookcases). It was cheap muslin. It is in one long strip and every so often I sewed a pocket for a dowel to go through (5 pockets).  I don't know the measurements anymore- its been too long- I just made something up anyway. The further apart the pockets for the dowels are- the deeper the book pocket will be. I actually made different size book pockets (some books are taller than others). Then  slide the dowels through their pockets and screw into the frame.

I really like the book shelf for 2-3 year olds. My children sometimes climb on it like its a ladder though- but it hasn't broken.

Here's another idea I use and I didn't have to make anything for this one!

2009-02-09 14-58-59

This was a bookshelf I found at a garage sale for 25 cents. I put a basket on each shelf. It doubles as a bookend and as a way to display books so you can see the covers. Sometimes I sort the books in the baskets by a series they are interested in, or with books I want to encourage them to pick. We keep our library books on top so they don't get mixed in.

Happy reading!!

4 comments:

K kid said...

What a great idea! I've always wanted one of those shelves but not wanted to fork over the $$.

Handsfullmom said...

I LOVE IT! I keep bugging my husband about making me one like that. The fabric idea is really good.

Kayelynn said...

Nice! I like the basket/bookend idea. I'm going to use that one for sure! Thanks! Your boys' photo book if really neat! I love that idea! I'm sure they will love looking at those pictures!

Kids! said...

I've actually been thinking for quite awhile that Warren needs to make a bookcase like your first pic or a wall mounted magazine rack to hold some of Isaac's books. Hmmmm maybe I can talk him into it!