Friday, January 16, 2009

My life is like a Cinnamon Roll and other bits of Tribal Knowledge

2009-02-03 15-02-48

A couple weeks ago Robin taught a great lesson in Relief Society at church. She had lots of great things to share. Amy posted about some.

For me, the thing I liked best that she shared is that my life is like a cinnamon roll. (She even brought cinnamon rolls for everyone! Maybe that's why I liked this part. LOL!) A cinnamon roll is made of lots of ingredients. Flour, sugar, salt, butter, cinnamon and so on- pretty ordinary ingredients... but the end result is fabulous. Each ingredient isn't always all that great- especially alone. Even the sugar alone wouldn't be tasty for more than one spoonful!  Just like in my life- I have LOTS of things to do, and some of them APPEAR to be ordinary or even yucky. But, if I can find joy in each ingredient in my life- then it will roll up into something great. I do believe that. I think I can find joy in everything I need to do- not just the ones I want to do when all the work is done. (Is it ever done anyway??) These last couple weeks have been better as I've tried to think of everything I do as important and meaningful and contributing to something great!

She also shared some random thoughts- she called them "Tribal Knowledge".  Things that should be common knowledge and passed to each other. Here's are some of my favorites:

"Fake it till you make it"

"You have no more right to steal someone's sunshine than you do to steal someone's silver"

"This too will pass"

"Have a sunshine day even if it's raining!"

"Good habits are hard to form and easy to live with. Bad habits are easy to form and hard to live with."

"Memories are made today."

"God never gives you more than you can handle."

 

Edited- I've been wanting cinnamon rolls ever since this lesson... I finally made them Feb 3rd and took a picture... Yum!

1 comment:

K kid said...

I love that "Life is like a cinnamon roll" analogy. I've never heard that before...