Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Things I Wish I'd Known Sooner

I read this book by Jaroldeen Edwards.  She shares highlights and insights of being a mom of twelve children. I liked the tidbits I got out of it- and they don't relate only to moms.

She told about a business trip she went on with her husband  to Barbados. She expected paradise. But the flight was long and by the time they got there- all she saw was the airport, then a taxi with no great views out the window. Then they got to the hotel- and it was not as glamorous as she expected. Her cottage was small and dark. She says she was frustrated, tired, and disillusioned. "Nothing was as I had dreamed it would be. Nothing made sense. Where was I?Supposedly somewhere on an island in the middle of an ocean- but at that point I was not sure either the island or the ocean really existed, and I was certainly in doubt about the whole "tropical paradise" thing!"  But then the bellman swept open their floor to ceiling shutters "and there right before us, where only darkness had existed, was the huge, splendid tropical sun sun... All that glory not fifteen steps away! I just could not see it in the darkness. The glory had been there all the time, and I had not known it. I had not been facing darkness, but a window onto eternity. I was just a  breath from all I had dreamed and I had not even guessed it. Light made all the difference."

I like this perspective- I don't know all that is ahead of me, I'm not aware of all that is happening around me, but there is a plan for me and a beautiful forever ahead- even if I don't know all the details.

 

This was another of my favorite quotes: "If we spend our life wishing away the mess, the noise, the obligations, they will be gone- but so will the children! This fact is true of every moment of life. If we do not see its joys, if we do not make the most of it, it will pass- and so will all of its opportunities."

I'm so thankful to be a mom and for all the joys that come with it! I'll take the dirty walls, laundry, noise (though yesterday I seriously wore ear plugs so it wasn't quite so loud!), messes, etc for the privilege to be a mom!

This quote sums it up for me- "I never thought that you should be rewarded for the greatest privilege of life (motherhood)."  May Coker- mother of the year)

3 comments:

Beth said...

Those were great thoughts, where did you get the book?

K kid said...

Thanks for a great post. It's easy to focus on all of the difficult things and not enjoy the good things. Thanks for lifting my day!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome post! And book! Thanks for that bit of inspiration :)