Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Multiple Photos printed on ONE 4X6

I often like to print more than one picture onto a single 4X6. I know I will use the picture as a smaller size, so printing them together is cheaper and more flexible than having them printed as a wallet size. I got this idea from Becky Higgins. I learned how to make templates from online classes by Jessica Sprague, so I have made easy to use templates that I can use over and over that simplify the process.

I thought I could share the templates with you in case you want them too.

There is 3 templates to download- one for 2 photos, 3 photos, and 4 photos. The templates are horizontal, but you can rotate it to be vertical as well.

2 4X3 photos download

3 4X2 photos download

4 2X3 photos download

Here’s a little tutorial to show you how to use the templates in Photoshop. I use Photoshop Elements 6.

Open one of the templates. I chose the template with spots for 2 4X3 photos:

clip_image002

Open the 2 photos you want to have printed.

Drag one photo down onto the template in the photo bin. Make sure it is arranged in the layers pallet on the top- above the “Photo 1” layer.

Hover your mouse over the line between the photo’s layer and the “photo 1” layer. Hold down the “alt” key and click with the mouse. It should mask the photo to the “Photo 1” layer.

clip_image004

This means you can move the photo around and resize it- and the only parts of the photo that will be visible is in the “photo 1” layer’s area. This is the magic of using the template. You can resize and move the photo without cropping it. Just click on the photo and drag it around. Click on the corner of the photo and pull it in or out to resize it.

clip_image006

Repeat this for your second photo. Make sure you arrange the 2nd photo so it is right above the “Photo 2” layer in the Layers Pallet, then hover over the line between then, hold down “alt” and click. Arrange and resize the 2nd photo how you want it.

clip_image008

Now you save it as a Jpeg and it’s ready to be printed as any other 4X6 photo.

After I have mine printed, I cut the pictures apart and use them on a scrapbook page. I will also occasionally create a collage and leave them uncut on a scrapbook page.

 

Let me know if you are interested in any other photo templates- I’d be happy to make some more.

8 comments:

smileyfish76 said...

I'm the one that wrote the directions for creating a collage. I don't know how to make templates so this is fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Dana said...

Very cool~ I tried to download it but it says the file link you requested is not valid... Hmmm

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the DigiFree Digital Scrapbooking Freebie search engine today (look for timestamp: 21 May [LA 02:50am, NY 04:50am, UK 09:50am, OZ 07:50pm] ).

Jacki said...

I have the downloads fixed now- sorry Dana!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, awesome downloads and instructions! Can't wait to try them. THANKS heaps, Kim

Anonymous said...

Wow . . . this is a great tutorial! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this Freebie. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Hands Scrapbook Freebies Search List, under the Template(s), Overlay(s), Photo Mask(s) post on May. 31, 2009. Thanks again.

Kim said...

Thanks for posting this. I know it was a while ago, but I have wanted to figure out how to make a digital template and this helped me figure it out! I finally had time today to sit down and figure it out. Thank you!